History of the Club
The Club was founded in 1894 by members of the St George’s Reading Circle. Its objective was to bring into one body the women of the community for mutual improvement. Special engagement and advocacy were strong interests, and Club members championed local social justice issues affecting women.
Edith Cowan was the first secretary of the Club, and later the President, and was the first elected female parliamentarian in Australasia.
Edith Cowan created the Club’s motto Spectemur Agendo: Let us be Judged by our Actions.
Read More - A Brief History: The Karrakatta Club